Bernstein & Feldman, P.A.

Providing Personal Counsel
And Representation For Over
30 Years

September 2014 Archives

Maryland state grant may be used to buy waterfront property

The city of Annapolis may purchase a vacant waterfront property that was formerly Fawcett Boat Supplies. A $1 million grant from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources would pay for a portion of the purchase. Another $3.5 million would be paid over five years at an interest rate of 5 percent. Legislation to buy the property would be introduced at a Sept. 22 meeting.

Maryland airport set for expansion after council vote

Plans for a major expansion to a Maryland public use airport drew a step closer to fruition on Sept. 16. Hartford County officials voted 5 to 1 to grant a zoning exemption and variance to the Hartford County Airport Owners Group. The airport is located off Route 156 near Churchville.

Solving construction contract disputes in Maryland

During a commercial or residential construction project, the parties involved oftentimes draw up a legally binding agreement called a construction contract. During the course of the project, however, the parties may become embroiled in controversy. To help avoid such disputes, our firm may be able to provide knowledge and experience that could help effectively negotiate and draft a construction contract that all involved parties can agree on. They are also experienced in resolving disputes surrounding construction law.

Sinclair CEO fighting corn farmer for control of land

Reports say that the CEO of Sinclair, a broadcasting giant, is involved in a land dispute with a Maryland farmer. After purchasing 235 acres of farmland in March 2013, the CEO has been fighting with a corn farmer over control of a 95-acre portion of the land. Recently, on July 20, a contractor hired by the CEO allegedly destroyed the entire crop of corn 75 days before it was due to be harvested.

How can property be rezoned?

Residents of or business owners in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, who want to use land for a purpose it is not zoned for will have to submit a rezoning request to the Zoning Division of the Office of Planning and Zoning, asking that the land be rezoned from one classification to another. If the land is located within 1,000 of tidal waters, it is included in the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area and a Critical Area report must be submitted along with the rezoning application.